Wednesday, August 4, 2010

It's the end of the world as we know it

I love disaster movies. All kinds.
Sometimes I even prefer the bad ones to the good ones.

Aliens invading? Asteroids and meteors on the way? I'm there.
"Deep Impact" "Independence Day" "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (both incarnations) "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" "Night of the Comet" "Armageddon" "Day of the Triffids"

And the entire Earth doesn't have to be in danger. A single community is fine.
I adore "Tremors." My viewings of "Volcano" have surpassed double digits. "Earthquake," with Charlton Heston, Lorne Greene and Ava Gardner, is one of my all-time favorites.
"Dante's Peak" "The Poseidon Adventure" "The Towering Inferno" "Twister"

Mustn't forget the Earth Strikes Back sub-sub-genre: "The Day After Tomorrow" "Outbreak" "2012"

For the record, the Terminator and Alien series stand alone. Killer cyborgs out to eradicate or enslave the human population? Acid-for-blood beings from another world that implant humans as hosts for their offspring? Disaster of mind-boggling proportions and mesmerizing to me.

Here's where the veneer of paradox lies: I believe life is a blessing. If I try, I can find the positive in most any situation. Glass half-full, that's me.

So, why do I enjoy watching destruction rain down or vomit up on the unsuspecting populace?

Perhaps it's because, in the overwhelming majority of these movies, humankind prevails. People long at cross-purposes find common ground and work to save themselves and, more importantly, others like and unlike them.

In viewing disaster, I visualize hope.
Plus, cool explosions and stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment